The European Union has made a formal commitment to a five-pillar Third Industrial Revolution. This is a formal plan endorsed by the European parliament in 2007.
- Pillar One: 20% renewable energy by 2020, in every region in Europe. That means a third of electricity has to be green in every region of the European Union by 2020.
- Pillar Two: Collect distributable renewable energies where the infrastructure exists.
- Pillar Three: Storage and managing the energies and the efficiencies. The sun isn’t always shining, and sometimes the wind blows at night, but you need electricity during the day.
- Pillar Four: The energy internet. Bring together off-the-shelf internet technology and use it to organize renewable energies and create continental energy internets.
- Pillar Five: Logistics and transport. Electric vehicles are here, and hydrogen-powered cars, buses, and trucks will be in mass production by major companies.